Game Creation Software
Here’s a list of software that can help you make your first game:
- Scratch is a game maker for kids made by MIT.
- GameSalad is very easy to use. Here’s a site with tutorials and some free templates to start. The Windows version is in Beta. If you’re an educator or student you can get the software cheaper here.
- Game Maker Windows and Mac, and many people recommend it. The price has been decreased but they have changed to a more Unity-like pay for features as needed. Personally, as a Mac user I find the interface to be counter-intuitive.
- Corona looks like it’s one of the more advanced options on this list. I have yet to try it.
- RPG Maker Obviously if you want to make an RPG this is worth looking at.
- FPSCreator This is the only one on this list that requires money upfront. Looks good though.
- Scirra AKA Construct is a relatively new tool for windows to create HTML5 games on your desktop.
- Stencyl. An amazingly visual way to quickly create games for flash and iOS. Cross-platform.
Software for Interactive Fiction
- Twine is a good tool to let you focus on writing; ideal for RPGs, interactive fiction, and other text-heavy games.
- Versu is another great deal for making a game around interactive fiction.
- StoryNexus is an online platform that permits monetization.
If you’re looking for something more advanced check out this page.
Can’t find the application you’re looking for? There’s always Wikipedia’s category page on video game creation software.
Leave a Reply
Parent page: Game Making Resources